Puritans into the FA Cup fourth round qualifying for the first time since 1980


Banbury United beat Peterborough Sports 6-7 on penalties

Banbury United are through to the FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying for the first time in 40 years after beating Peterborough Sports in a game that went to penalties last night.

The Puritans travelled to Cambridgeshire for the clash which saw them defeat Peterborough Sports 6-7 on penalties after a hard fought match.   Banbury United last made it through the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round in 1980.

United took the lead in the first half after Connor Roberts hooked the ball in after a scramble in the box.   They remained in the lead at half time, but Peterborough equalised in the second half.

After three minutes of injury time the game went straight to penalties with a tense battle as both teams scored their first six shots at goal.   The seventh penalty became the decider after Sam Brown scored for Banbury, but Peterborough missed.

A good number of the Puritans fans made the trip to watch the match which gave Peterborough Sports a club record attendance of 478.

Speaking after the match, Banbury United Manager Andy Whing said of his team: “A fantastic squad who will fight for each other.   They worked their socks off for each other and had to dig in.   I thought we were the better side and deserved to win tonight – we had really good chances.

“Anything can happen when it goes to penalties and fortunately we scored all ours and they missed one of theirs.

“We had some injuries before the game.   We had injuries during the game.   We had players with cramp, but they all stuck together.   Even players with cramp put their hand up to take a penalty, which is fantastic”.

The draw for the Fourth Round Qualifying of the Emirates FA Cup will take place this Thursday lunchtime (15th October) at 1pm.

Published: by Banbury FM Newsteam

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current track