Hardwick Primary School closed completely next week due to COVID-19
School had been closed to years 3 and 4; now a further infection has resulted in the rest of the school being closed
Parents of children at Hardwick Primary School have learned this evening that the school will be completely closed next week after another member of staff tested positive for COVID-19. Children from years 3 and 4 have already been off school and isolating due to an earlier infection.
In a letter signed jointly by Julie Hiddleston, Executive Headteacher and Graeme Page, Executive Head of School they say they are unable to provide enough staff to enable the school to remain open. An additional member of staff has tested positive for COVID-19 and others must now also isolate.
The letter says: “Further to our letter on Wednesday, a further member of staff has tested positive for COVID-19, and we have additional staff now in isolation. This afternoon we have had a further discussion with the Health Protection team at Public Health England who have once again confirmed that we have all the correct measures in place to reduce the risk of infection.
“Any children who have been in close contact with the individual who has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) will have received a letter informing them that their child must stay at home for 14 days.
“We have been able to remain open this week for the years N, R, 1 2 and 5, but given this latest information I am sorry to confirm that we have had to make the decision to close the school for next week.
“The safety of our children and staff must take priority, and we do not currently have sufficient staffing available to be able to operate the school safely under the current circumstances. Parents will appreciate that at the current time we not only need staff to teach each class, but also sufficient staffing to ensure that our rigorous systems of controls, such as more frequent cleaning, are in place. Given our current staffing levels, we do not believe that we can ensure we can operate at the level that would be required. This decision has the full support if GLF Schools, and we have also informed the Local Authority”.
The school says work will be provided for children to complete at home.
The letter concludes: “We appreciate this will cause inconvenience for many families but we thank you for your understanding in what is a very challenging time for all.”
The closure period will include the Half Term break with children not returning until Monday 2nd November.
Published: by Banbury FM Newsteam