Fire safety advice as festivities get closer


“Nobody wants to have their Christmas ruined because of a fire”

As festivities get into full swing Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service has provided advice to help keep us safe this Christmas.

Topics covered include festive lights, Christmas trees, candles and cooking.

They suggest using LED lights which don’t get hot, but do check the wiring to make sure it hasn’t been damaged during storage.   Festive lights should be turned off before going to bed or leaving the home.

Real Christmas trees should be watered as pines become a fire risk when they dry out.

Candles shouldn’t be left unattended and need to be placed on a heat resistant surface and in a secure candle holder.   They should be kept away from loose materials, paper decorations and anything else which could easily catch fire.  Candles should also be kept away from the reach of children and pets.   The Fire and Rescue Service say the battery operated variety are  a safer option.

For those preparing the festive feast they are reminded that cooking can be a fire risk at any time and not to leave food unattended that is simmering or on the boil.

Deb Forder, Community Safety Manager from Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The festive season is an opportunity to relax and spend time with family and friends. However, we should be vigilant to eliminate potential fire risks. Nobody wants to have their Christmas ruined because of a fire.”

Deb added: “Smoke alarms aren’t just for Christmas, so please check regularly, throughout the year, that they are working properly. If you have mains operated alarms, why not give them a festive present in the form of a new back up battery? We encourage residents to have a smoke alarm on each floor of their home.”

Further fire safety advice is available here.

Published: by Banbury FM Newsteam

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current track